stars, based on
Custom Prescription Center
Innovating hormone testing since 1998. Promoting wellness to address menopause, infertility, weight management, adrenal fatigue, depression & more.
The Science of Saliva Testing
Estrogens, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA-S and cortisol are routinely measured in saliva at ZRT. Steroid hormones in the bloodstream are mostly (95-99%) bound to carrier proteins, and in this form are unavailable to target tissues. Only the unbound fraction freely diffuses into tissues, including the salivary gland. Hormone levels in saliva therefore represent the quantity of the hormone that is currently available to target tissues and actively exerting specific effects on the body. Research at ZRT has demonstrated clear correlations between salivary hormone levels and reported symptoms.
• Saliva testing, unlike serum tests, measures the bioavailable (“free”) levels of steroid hormones, correlating with symptomatology and potential deficiency
• Samples are collected by the patient at home, allowing convenient timing of collection especially for cortisol, which must be measured at specific times of the day or night
• Convenience of collection allows frequent sampling, e.g., during a menstrual cycle to determine fertility problems
• Hormone levels can be assessed during topical hormone supplementation
• Saliva collection avoids the stress of a blood draw, which can affect levels of cortisol
• Hormones are stable in saliva at room temperature for up to 2 weeks, allowing for worldwide shipment and convenient mailing of samples for testing
• Saliva testing is less expensive than conventional serum testing
Saliva testing can help providers:
• Identify hormone imbalances prior to the appearance of symptoms or disease
• Identify specific hormone imbalances associated with symptoms
• Establish hormone baselines prior to surgery or beginning therapy
• Monitor hormone levels while supplementing, allowing for individualized hormone dosing
• Track patient symptoms and hormone levels using ZRT’s comparative history reports provided with
Would you like to place an order?
Product Order Request